Category: Projects

A Patchwork of History – Back Porch Door Ceiling

 

003Wow, where do I even begin with this project?  Buddy and I have a 16X20 foot porch on the back of the house that we covered three years ago.  Eventually we want to completely enclose the back porch, however, at this point, we are leaving it a covered back porch.

That being said, for the last three years, we have been staring at bare trusses because I just could not decide on what to install for the ceiling.  We discussed everything from bead board to reclaimed pallet wood. Loved the idea of the pallet wood and loved the idea of the FREE pallets even better!  However, one cold day in February we visited our local Salvage store, ( Construction Junction in Wilkensburg, PA) when Buddy suggested looking into another material. He was not sold on the pallet idea (even though I loved the finished projects I have seen!).   Hmmm….my mind started wondering to other possibilities.  I wondered through the salvaged items…what to use…?  shutters on the ceiling ?  windows on the ceiling?  Nope, DOORS!  I skipped through the warehouse towards the wall of salvaged doors dragging my husband along the way with my mind and my lips going a mile a minute.  When we arrived at the doors, my hubby was in some sort of staring spell and could not speak.  Needless to say, it took a lot of convincing.

Despite Buddy’s reservations, over the next month I collected 18 vintage panel doors complete with chipping paint, worn wood and mysterious history.  This project may have taken a lot of convincing for Buddy, but in the end, it turned out exactly how my mind saw it, right down to the sea foam green doors!   Enjoy the pictures and feel free to ask questions. I would be more than happy to give details and  a material list.

Because of the different colors and sizes, Buddy and I laid the doors out in the yard first.
Because of the different colors and sizes, Buddy and I laid the doors out in the yard first.
Because the doors were different colors on each side and some doors had sides in better shape then others, we did a lot of moving/switching in the yard layout.
Because the doors were different colors on each side and some doors had sides in better shape then others, we did a lot of moving/switching in the yard layout.
Not one door was square so it took a lot of measurements and cuts to make them fit as snug as possible.
Not one door was square so it took a lot of measurements and cuts to make them fit as snug as possible.
The first door was filled with lots of anticipation! And, lots of measuring and cutting!
The first door was filled with lots of anticipation! And, lots of measuring and cutting!
Almost done! The doors were heavy and awkward. It was a long process, but eventually the last door went up!
Almost done! The doors were heavy and awkward. It was a long process, but eventually the last door went up!

1010 Finished project!

A Family History Backsplash

With this post I wanted to showcase a project that took TWO years in the making and a lot of mind changing and man hours to complete.  However, in the end, I could not have been more pleased with the result.  It truly captured what I had envisioned in my mind and I would think my family members, both past and present would be just as pleased as I am!   This post will detail the creation of my backsplash from start to finish, hope you enjoy!

The Journey Begins…

In the fall of 2013, we purchased 7 acres, a 1936 house and some outbuildings across the road from our current property. Shortly after purchasing the property, I was strolling through the woods when I came across a sleeve of glass.  Yes, you heard me correctly, a sleeve of glass.  There were approximately 75 glass panels about 1/4 inch thick,  3″ wide and 36 inches long.  The wooden box that held the panels had since rotted away, leaving only the panels buried in the dirt.  It was at this moment that I thought to myself:  “Hmm….I could cut those panels to make little tiles to use for my backsplash.” Buddy on the other hand, shrugged it off.

This is a picture of the pine tree I found the panels under.
This is a picture of the pine tree I found the panels under. Seriously.
Here is the hole left in the dirt after I removed them.
Here is the hole left in the dirt after I removed them.
They were quite a mess from years of being buried in the dirt.
The panels were quite a mess from years of being buried in the dirt. This mess led to quite the mess in my house!
They also weighed a lot! So, I had to carefully bring them into the house to wash them.
The panels also weighed a lot! So, I had to carefully bring them into the house to wash them.  I hand washed each one of them and then laid them out to dry.

Continue reading “A Family History Backsplash”